The science of engaging on Facebook
29 May, 2013 | Web design
Achieving good customer engagement rates is very important for a business that wants to succeed on Facebook. Here are some great facts to help you measure and compare how well you're engaging with your fans.
How to achieve good engagement
- Keep posts short - posts with 80 characters or less get up to 23% higher interaction rates.
- Asking question can bring in 90% more engagement than your average post. You can do this by doing polls or fill in the blank type questions.
- Post to your Facebook page daily - as 96% of your fans aren’t returning to your page regularly. Posting more frequently will help you reach them.
- Don’t be pushy – posts related to your industry perform better than those directly about your brand. No one wants to be directly sold to through a social network. Don’t over advertise through Facebook as it will push your fans away.
When to post
Posting at the right time can make or break your Facebook business page. You will want to post when most of your fans are online to improve the chances of engagement. Here are some tips to help you:
- Facebook is busiest in the after so try to update your page between 1pm and 4pm.
- Reports suggest that 3pm on a Wednesday is the best time to get interaction on a Facebook post. If you only have time to post once a week, make sure you do it on a Wednesday afternoon.
- If you are likely to post weekends as well, the best times to post are between 10am and 6pm.
- Posting will obviously vary depending on your audience, so you should test out a few times throughout the day to see what times give you the best results.
Facebook users love images and they are a great way of generating engagement. Don’t just post your entire property portfolio across your newsfeed; try to only upload appealing or fun images that your fans might be interested in:
- Images increase interaction rates by 39% more than your average posts.
- Images draw in higher engagement rates than both videos and text posts.
- Images posted will attract more comments than the average post.
- Links with images are 84% more likely to receive a click.
- Posts that include photo albums receive 180% more engagement than the average post.
With any social media campaign you shouldn’t be afraid to experiment with new strategies. Try to incorporate some of these in your Facebook updates.