10 facts and stats to celebrate Twitters 10 year anniversary
23 March, 2016 | Social media
On March 21st at 2:50pm, ten years ago, Twitter began with a single tweet from Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey and has since grown into one of the most popular social networks in the world. The microblogging site has become a feature of millions of people’s live enabling them to connect through things they care about.
This is a massive milestone for Twitter, so to celebrate we have put together 10 amazing facts and stats about the social giant:
1) Twitter considered calling the social network Friendstalker before settling on Twitter.
2) It took Twitter 3 years, 2 months and 1 day to hit 1 billion tweets.
3) Now they receive around 532 million tweets a day.
4) That’s 347,000 tweets posted per minute.
5) Twitter receives 304 million unique monthly users.
6) And 100 million daily active users.
7) 80% of Twitters active users use the site via a mobile device.
8) The average number of followers a Twitter user has is 208.
9) Twitter is the 9th most followed Twitter account with 53,579,709 followers.
10) Facebook has offered to buy Twitter twice; of course they were turned down both times.